View Single Post
Old 06-01-19, 07:34 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
110 one way, but we have to go through LA (or over through Palmdale) so 4-5 hours on the road. The wife goes with me to all races which adds the complication of her travel; its a debate to race because she doesn't want to spend all weekend on the road when she travels the weeks before and after. Its a weird problem to have and if I start racing full time again (and not picking and choosing races that only fit my strengths) it'll be an issue.

About the FTP; my guess is I could do 90% of my ftp, I'm at 285ish, so 250-255 should be the mark but I can never come close to that on a TT bike. I can't blame the bike, its either me being tired and often times its road furniture (cars, lights, etc) that screw up my interval. We really don't have a great 40k course that I've found.
Through LA on Sunday morning is not bad at all. Going home would be less fun. We have this exact paradigm when I race Fiesta. We leave a little before 4am and the drive with zero traffic is slightly over 2 hours. Coming home, with traffic, it’s over 3 hours. I really like Fiesta though- the flat course, closed to cars, held start and the overall vibe of it. Same situation here- my husband is my soinguer so that’s a factor too, you realize that you’re eating up a big chunk of two people’s day. He claims to not mind until that 3am alarm goes off on a Sunday. Then he’s a little grumpy, lol.

Now I understand the FTP comment, you’re talking about on the TT bike. My FTP is always set on the TT bike so for me riding FTP for an hour in a TT is a given. We just assume my road bike FTP is a little higher but would never do anything with that number so I’ve never tested it.

A male friend of mine got the Merckx course record recently at Piru, which made me realize the women’s Merckx is ripe to be plucked. I beat that time in my first ever TT there, which was on my road bike, but I wasn’t registered in a Merckx class. So I’m thinking this summer, I’ll go race a Merckx TT there and try to get the course record.

Im thinking of doing Breathless Agony next year and if so, I’ll come do some training rides in your area. The drive is a pain but it’s really not that bad.
Likes For Heathpack: