View Single Post
Old 01-19-20, 10:29 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
An update. A few days ago I had bike fit, through orthopedic physical therapy. Specifically for my current ailments and issues with my ankle, brace and some knee pains. Unlike a professional fitting shop, with lots of parts to try on your bike, this revolved about fitting your bike to your issues.

I took my 2006 Cannondale CAAD8, it was fit to their Tacx Neo T2 (I got a glimpse of the value in a smart trainer over my "half smart" trainer!). I was evaluated for mobility, flexibility and stretching. Then we got to the bike.

In short, I'm not really doing anything wrong. It might be in my interest to use a shorter stem, maybe 10mm less. Proved I'm not rocking in the saddle like I thought I was, so I CAN raise my seat a little. Strongly suggested I switch my 53/39 crankset for 50/34 and choose shorter crank arms. The shorter arms are as more for my AFO brace than anything else. The next one is to swap to larger flat pedals. Think, BMX and downhill style with the pins for gripping your shoes. And a more midfoot position over the pedal spindle. The larger pedals support the foot, and provide stiffness, instead of in the shoe. I've watched a bunch of videos, and there is a lot of merit. Oh yes. Learn to spin more. More than I have so far. Too bad I'm not especially a fast twitch muscle sort of guy...

Changes made to my CAAD8 will be reflected on my bike on the trainer (52/42/32 and 175mm arms), and my other roadbike (which is already compact and 165mm crankarms)...

Then I had my consult with the surgeon. Ligament and tendon damage is not easily repaired, would take longer to heal, and require more time non weight bearing, than fusion. Due to the tendon damage, and my age and activity level, ankle replacement is not a good option either. It still has a high failure rate, and is nowhere near the maturity of process as knees. On the other hand, as long as I am doing ok with the AFO brace, there is no rush to fusion. As long as I can tolerate it. He does want to see new xrays in a year if I wait that long or longer. I think this buys me time for my right knee replacement first.

So. Not a bad day, not a great day. But tons of great info. Now, to take all that I learned, and do something with it.