View Single Post
Old 06-30-22, 06:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
...No "being one with the machine." Just...nothing. Like a part of the cycling experience just wasn't there anymore.
I believe in the current self-centered zeitgeist, the goal is "being one with one's self".

Also, for non-enthusiasts, electronic shifting, paired with electrically assisted pedaling should yield a very good automatic transmission system. I think there are already some out there, one being based on the NuVinci CVT bicycle transmission.

Also, as with anything marketed and sold, there is "feature creep" where features are added to add the perception of advancement.

As for me, for now, I prefer un-assisted pedaling and nicely tuned, indexed, cable-actuated shifters, either by my hands, or on the down tube.

But I just turned 60, and at some point in the not too distant future my knees and hands may demand assisted shifting and pedaling (and possibly a third wheel for balance). I hope not, but if that's what it takes to keep riding, then that's what I'll do.
Likes For BobbyG: