Old 07-25-22, 12:23 PM
grouchysmurf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
New to this: Italian frame, what cassette?, will the brakes fit?, what have I done?

Alright, as this is my very first post here, I can only hope I chose the right forum. Hello everyone.

I've just made an impulse buy: i.imgur.com/A4sBs8Z.png -- for less than $80 I bought half of an Italian made bike. Front wheel is not included, that does not bother me, though.

The plan is to fit it by myself, including a new BB, new wheels, clean all the parts, giving the handlebar a polish and preserving that lovely -- ain't it lovely? -- painting on the frame.

I started to browse auctions and bike equipment stores -- and as I presumed, a plethora of new questions showed up. As I said, I hope that is a right forum to look for an answer:

1. would any 28" road wheels fit, giving the width is right? Do I need to look for a specific height so that my brakes would hit the rim? Does this kind of brakes allow for enough of adjustment to fit any rim?

2. I would go for 2x7s set up. The question is would be OK to purchase any 7 cassette or do I need to watch out for the width, for example? Is there any kind of correlation / dependency between the front and rear cogs? I've already learned that I need to buy a rear wheel, on which a 7 step cassette would actually fit. First lesson is done, I guess.

3. How do I learn if my bike has an Italian thread in BB? If I want to replace the BB, what parameters / figures / values should I observe? Is there a correlation / dependency between BB and the crankset itself?

There is just for starters. Very much looking forward to your replies.

Last edited by grouchysmurf; 07-25-22 at 12:39 PM.