View Single Post
Old 08-15-22, 11:31 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
OP, you didn't say, but what kind of "racing" are you interested in? I do triathlons and I use a road bike for it (now) but I'm shopping for a triathlon bike. What kind of racing you want to do will influence what kind of bike you want to get.
Originally Posted by koala logs
Even if you get clipless pedals eventually, it is still advisable not to pull up the pedal based on many studies showing you're actually less efficient when doing it and some develop issues from doing it.

Even the racers in Tour de France don't do it. It's only okay to pull up just a little to unload your feet from the pedal using only the hip flexor muscles but not to brute force pull the pedal up with the hamstrings simply because our legs are less efficient at flexion compare to extension.

When tour racers bob up and down on the steep stages, that means they're using their glutes and hamstrings on the downstroke of the pedal. If they also pulled up with the hamstring, they'd burn out their hamstring or even force it to cramp from overuse. Not a good thing. Nevertheless, clipless pedals would still deliver significant improvement despite not brute force pulling up the pedals simply by giving more efficient and secure interface between the feet and the pedals.
I've now done both flat pedals and clipped in. Honestly, I think it's all personal preference, but for me, I'm comfortable with flat pedals. I think it's something everybody should try, and give both a fair chance, but for the majority of people out there I think clipping in is kind of like buying jerseys with sponsor names on it. Mostly for show. But you know, you do you.
Originally Posted by himespau
You know, the bike might not be as much to big for you as it feels right now. Lots of new people get into cycling and think their bike is too big because they can't put their feet on the ground while in the saddle and think that's what bikes are supposed to feel like. It's not. It's really not. What size is the bike? How tall are you? What's your inseam?
I'm curious too. Bike fit is very individualized. I'm 5'4", but I have relatively short legs so I typically ride a 49 or 50cm bike. I've ridden a 54cm bike before, but that's on the very ragged edge of just being too big.