Old 11-20-22, 12:17 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My response is that as a hobbyist, no it isn’t to much effort to find parts.

But from someone in business, yes it is too much effort. I buy most of my parts on eBay. There is always a risk that the parts have issues. Timing a auction end with a bid that fits a budget would be a nightmare for someone in business.

If the customer is willing to pay you the hours you spend and an exorbitant amount for an NOS XTR or Dura Ace component, that might be a different story. But by-and-large it should be a non-starter. Even more so if the repairs do not meet the hopes and dreams of the customer.

John
You are correct in your analysis that from a business stand point iti s not really profitable, yes and there is always a risk that part may have. Regarding theprice of some NOS Dura Ace 7700,7800, 7900 and even older NOS XTR or XT parts, prices have litterally skyrocketed. Some times, I think it is better for the customer to buy the frame first and then the components with spares in mind rather than shelling out money for a complete new bike but have it assembled by their local bike tech. Having something a la carte can be a more interesting alternative quality wise than something made in big volumes .