Old 12-04-22, 04:49 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Of the 3 contact points (saddle/handlebars/pedals) which holds you back the most?

When I was a young rider I would say it was the saddle. Because it took a lot of adjusting and experimentation to get it right for all day comfort.

But these days it has become the pedal/foot interface. I think I had issues here when young as well but back then my feet could seemingly tolerate the abuse. I mean the poorly fitted shoes, the improperly positioned cleats, the toeclips and straps, etc..

Due to some neuropathy issues and post surgery Morton's neuroma issues I now am super protective of my feet. I spent more than half of this past cycling season "soft pedaling" on group rides. So much so that the other riders questioned my high cadence and they were feeling complelled to advise me to upshift into bigger gears more. I protested on several occasions and whined to my ride leader that I "couldn't" do it. Later this cycling season I have continued to refine my insoles, my cycling shoes and socks and also doing foot work in yoga classes in an effort to strengthen and make more flexible my feet. Call it a work in progress. I actually have to count down in my head cycles of 8 or 12 on my dominant then non-dominant feet while standing to climb out of the saddle. By doing this, I can manage the bone on bone sensation that I sometimes get when putting downforce from the ball of my foot onto the center of the pedal.

Last edited by masi61; 12-04-22 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For masi61: