wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Not knocking weights training but for me I’m going to have to stop. I can’t recovery like I could when I was younger just a reality I have to except. I get too beat up on the weights and makes all other active activity miserable. My shoulders can’t press anymore after a session I’m just in pain for days. Squatting and deadlifting takes forever to recover ruining my passion for cycling. I love fishing and launching and loading my boat and throwing a bass rod all day is miserable after I beat myself up with weights . I have physical work to do to keep my place maintained and I end up loafing around because I’m trying to recover from weights. Now with my bikes I have no recovery issues at all. I can ride 30 miles then mow the grass and weed eat then chainsaw work with no issues of recovering. Then ride 30 miles the next day feeling good. I know endurance sports target the slow twitch muscles that recover quickly. I enjoy bike riding for the endorphins and the adventure of trying out new areas. Weights is a 1 hour torture session that leaves me debilitated for days lol. Probably going to sell off my weight collection from over the years to some kid training for football or a much younger athletic type so I can have more space for my home bike shop. Ok rant almost over and venting is making me feel better. I believe weight training is great and encourage anybody to train but for me personally it doesn’t do anything for me due to physical limitations. I will spare the details on that Going to focus on bike riding and hiking and I will get enough resistance training by physical work.
I have some advice for you...Limit your weight training to 1-2 times per week at most, and give yourself at least 4-5 days of recovery between workouts. Also avoid training to failure because training to failure is what will beat up your body and cause all kinds of pains and damage and take forever to recover from. Stop your sets at least 2-3 reps before you reach failure. Don't train like a competitive bodybuilder or a competitive powerlifter because you're not.. Do higher reps with lighter weight instead of annihilating your joints with heavy weight and low reps. There is no reason to give up weight training after 50, in fact it's very beneficial but you just need to train smart. Don't let your ego make you lift weights that your body can't handle. Train smart.