Old 05-16-21, 04:38 AM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have some advice for you...Limit your weight training to 1-2 times per week at most, and give yourself at least 4-5 days of recovery between workouts. Also avoid training to failure because training to failure is what will beat up your body and cause all kinds of pains and damage and take forever to recover from. Stop your sets at least 2-3 reps before you reach failure. Don't train like a competitive bodybuilder or a competitive powerlifter because you're not.. Do higher reps with lighter weight instead of annihilating your joints with heavy weight and low reps. There is no reason to give up weight training after 50, in fact it's very beneficial but you just need to train smart. Don't let your ego make you lift weights that your body can't handle. Train smart.
Bingo ! Correct answer.
Avoiding weights is wrong - your bones are living tissues and they need the weights work to be strong. Cycling doesn't help bone strength. All of us here want to cycle forever but a simple crash or fall can be a life changer if your bones are not strong.

Avoid the 1PR or those stuff you see on youtubes - the ones where they squat as much as they can for 1 rep. They'll be making a chiro appointment or a back operation down the road. Lower weights but higher reps - anything you can do more than 10 reps should be safe.

I choose my muscle group to develop / strenghten. Legs - back - arms. Some shoulders too (just in case of that crash).

My only regret is that i've chosen 2 hobbies that are opposing - cycling 'burn's my muscle away and weight lifting makes me heavier for the cycling.

Weird findings - i've been lifting more recently - and while i feel beefier, more muscular i was quite surprised that my weight is still the same. I thought I would come out heavier. So you can look and feel bigger without actually gaining any weight !!