View Single Post
Old 06-15-21, 04:26 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
I’ve been thinking about reapplying clearcoat since it looks like it’s peeling off. If I apply a polish to remove the milky clearcoat, wouldn’t I have to remove the polish so I can apply new clearcoat. Don’t I want to have a clear basecoat surface to apply new clearcoat? I would think the polish will not allow the clearcoat to adhere over it.
It's hard for me to say w/out seeing the bike in person. You'll first need to either remove what's left of the existing clearcoat (which can be done by gentle sanding or using a clear coat removing chemical) or try to repair the clear coat if most of it is still good. That would involve sanding off any damaged sections of the existing clear then blending those sections in using sandpaper (wet sand) with the existing good clear. You can then re-apply a good 2K clear or, at minimum, 1K clear. You can spray clear over clear as long as the underlying clear has been cleaned.

As for removing polish just give the bike a good wash with warm soapy water then a good rinse. Allow to air dry in the sun or (while wearing gloves) wipe down with clean microfiber.
Likes For tendency: