View Single Post
Old 03-17-22, 08:44 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
72 Fuji Newest, perhaps gaudy update

I posted earlier on this well used 72 Fuji Newest that I purchased last year. It looked to have spent its last decades as a commuter.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-newest-2.html

As nearly nothing on it was stock except the well used crank, I built it up how I wanted. Even the crank arms were gouged and I used a file on the flats to level it and then sandpaper. So, in my mind, anything goes. I don’t have the talents of others here, and truthfully good from 5 feet is good enough for me. The numerous scrapes and nicks on the frame made this an easier choice too.

Rideable condition

That was where I was at but then being newly retired in wintertime, I had too much time on my hands. My other bikes are pretty sedate looking, so my mind wandered a bit. The stock graphics that I put on harken to the flower power era, so I thought to take it a step further. It was fun, and I can always change it back. Flame away at me, but remember, nothing was really stock to begin with.

Mostly slightly later period parts, but fitting on this I thought.

Dia Compes would be standard

VX GT and 14-32 narrow six speed

NOS Suntour ratchets

VX again and 42-46 half step

Late 70s Record hubs and Super Champion rims.

I am way less talented than the group here with their amazing custom and Italian and other very high end machines, but I had a lot of fun. Truthfully, at my age and skill level, I perhaps wouldn’t really be able to appreciate the qualities of those bikes either. 15-30 miles on one of my mid level mass produced bikes set up nicely and on a nice day is what pleases me.
Likes For sd5782: