Old 05-20-22, 09:50 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilepines
Interesting observation about the timing chain being a way for the captain and stoker to communicate. We have a timing chain (as most do) and have no problem at all telling what the other is doing. Maybe that comes from riding the tandem together for many years. And if I don't get the message through the cranks there are other less subtle ways to communicate!
I came upon this realization several years after beginning riding with my main two stokers: my kids. We got going when they were 9 and 11 so they adopted my style right from the start. I hadn't realized how automatic things were until there'd be an occasional break from the routine pedaling--I might have a false start with pedaling and have to back off right away and they weren't expecting it, etc. My dad joined me on many rides too and our style was so similar it was the same with him--no words needed.

The one time I remember having to explicitly yell something was riding up a steep hill in the South Dakota Badlands with my son. I was trying to drop into the granny gear but he wasn't catching my backing off just a little and I couldn't shift!