Old 09-07-10, 08:31 AM
neusaab
reluctant roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pyze-guy
I use a ramped chainring on my bike with s/s cogs and it's never come off.

And out of curiosity, why 44-25? Thats a bizarre choice, less than 2-1 ratio. Are you doing massive climbs? I run 34-14 and 32-16 on mine ( two rings, two cogs). Smaller chainrings give more options as well for chainline adjustment. You can move the chainring to the inside of the spider and/or get a shorter b/b to straighten the chainline.
Interesting thoughts. I wondered if the chain was coming off the back, or the front which is of course heavily ramped.

Yeah, I know 44-25 is weird. It's not that weird, though. It's equivalent to 32-18, which a lot of guys around here run. We have a lot of brief but very steep climbs littered with typical New England roots and boulders which can stop you dead and bounce you off your bike. There are not a lot of fast flowy sections where taller gears would be of benefit.

I'm going to re-examine my chainline, and then consider recovering the 32t chainring that I poached for another bike to run with a different cassette cog, possibly a SS-specific one if it turns out my chainline is OK.

Thanks for your thoughts.