View Single Post
Old 06-23-19, 06:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
It is a personal preference, but I don't equate a bigger heavier tent with more comfort. If I am in the tent I am usually sleeping, reading, or lying quietly. None of those require much space and I am not inclined to bring much gear inside. I have used a variety of shelter options over the years ranging from fairly heavy to a 6 ounce bug bivy and 7 ounce tarp and I don't think I'd ever consider taking more than a lightweight backpacking tent (somewhere around 3 pounds would probably be my limit).

WRT to sleeping pads, your preferences may be different, but I have found my Thermarest xLite to be the most comfortable pad I have tried. Since it is also among the lightest I have tried it seems like an easy choice for me.

On the other hand while on tour I consider two main types of comfort... on the bike and off the bike. On the bike can actually be the bigger deal and I find it is facilitated by carrying a lighter load.

Again this is all personal preference, but after a lot of trial and error and a lot of tinkering with ever lighter loads I don't think I'd ever go back to schlepping heavy loads after experiencing the joy of touring on a bike very lightly loaded with ultralight back backing gear. And to be clear my reason isn't because it is some Spartan exercise it is for COMFORT on the bike.
Likes For staehpj1: