Old 09-20-21, 11:06 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
Touring with a friend who had the MSR that can burn gasoline, he would go to a gas station and ask if he could buy a few ounces of fuel. They usually just gave him a funny look
and said "No". then he would talk to people filling up their vehicles. Usually it just confused them, they figured it was some kind of scam. Eventually he would have some success and pay a couple of dollars for enough to fill a fuel bottle. But it wasnt easy.
I would try to find kerosene before car gas since it is cleaner. Kingsford lighter fluid is close to kerosene and available everywhere. The dragonfly burns both. On tour I have not had to much problem finding white gas. Many camping stores have it and Walmart has quarts. I rarely find other campers that even know what white gas is, much less have it. On our summer tour we used almost 3 quarts, that would be many canisters. Many people are unaware that canisters must have a hole punched through or else they will not be accepted for recycle. Consequently, I suspect and have read, most canisters end up in landfill.