Old 12-08-22, 11:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Finally got it put together last night. Tubes went in without a problem (even though the 1980 Sports blew one of it's TipTop patches last night), and the Kool-Stop pads were also fitted.

I know I've been critical about the fit of the Kool-Stops in the past (and have been witch slapped by iab for it...hi, iab!), but I fitted them regardless, as I want this thing to stop. I still think they're a bit loose fitting, but they're workable. Be aware that they are also slightly longer than the original John Bull No. 25 pads they replace, but a sharp Xacto knife could solve that if one chooses.

Making them fit shouldn't be a matter of crimping the holders to the point of bowing, but whatever - I'm not interested in continuing that argument again.

And here she is - buttoned up enough for test runs. No cleanup yet; this is just to ascertain what I think of it and what the build needs moving forward. It also happens to be framing all the rust I have to cut out of the Plymouth eventually...ah, projects.

The wheels, post cleanup. Not perfect, but a great improvement.

Initial pad cleanup. To my surprise, these particular brakes self-center pretty well. Front was too loose and rear jammed tight, but minor adjustment fixed that.

So, first ride impressions:

The combination of a tiny front wheel, fixed basket hanging out over said wheel, and lightly telescoping front suspension is fairly unnerving at first. I had a hell of a time feeling comfortable making turns initially. It doesn't help that something isn't happy in the FW hub either, mainly in first gear. I'm assuming the compensator spring is off, resulting in random disengagements of the clutch assembly. Not fun.

Nevertheless, it is OK in 2/3/4. As soon as I got to grips with what I could work with, I began to actually experience the Moulton Mk.1. It doesn't feel anything like a Twenty, and the handlebar stem doesn't reach up high enough for me not to be slightly hunched over, but it's engaging and lively for what it is. Front suspension is a bit noticeable on turns, and the rear doesn't bounce enough to annoy me - far less than the elastomer-suspension Birdy BD-1 I tinkered around with a few years ago.

However, that Troxel saddle needs to burn in the fieriest depths of hell imaginable. I don't know if it's original equipment or an add-on, or a parts substitution made by Huffy to keep costs down, but it is singlehandedly the worst piece of garbage I've ever sat on. That includes every single bicycle shaped object saddle I've ever encountered.

The pattern is too wide and flat at the inner thigh, resulting in the saddle getting in the way of pedal downstroke. One has to ride either on the nose of it, or very painfully rock around on the saddle (the padding is nonexistent) to make it work.

Honestly, if this saddle was OEM equipment on 1950's and 1960's US bikes in large enough numbers, I bet you could claim this saddle as a runner up to John Forester for ruining this country's perception of the bicycle for transportation.

I can't wait to throw a B.72 on this thing.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-26-23 at 07:26 PM.
Likes For cudak888: