View Single Post
Old 06-20-20, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
question 1:

these black rubber grips are difficult to push into this aluminum bar.

i got them in all the way, after a herculean effort of twist and pushing and cursing.

before, i had washed the grip and bar without soap, and rinsed with lots of water.
Then, let everything dry overnigt. i installed it dry.

For next time, can i use water as lube to facilitate grip install?

I was afraid that water would not dry completely in the grip. Would it? If so, how long will it take to dry?
Water. Spit. Alcohol. All work well. I use White Rain in a pump bottle. I just started using my second bottle of the stuff. The first one came from the early 90s (perhaps earlier). You don’t need much and it glues the grips in place when it dries.

Water works but it does take a little longer to dry. Hairspray will dry in a couple of hours. Water may take double that. Putting it in the sun will likely speed the process in both cases.

To remove the grips, slip a 2mm Allen wrench under the grip and spray in water or alcohol (you could do spit but that a bunch...eww!). Pull the wrench out and the grip should just twist off.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!