clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by barnfind
I spent a few hours this afternoon sorting through some of the Sturmey Archer hubs, I'm basically sorting them first into two lots, complete, or missing parts, then I'm sorting the complete hubs by number or speeds and separating the coaster brake models. The vast majority are first early 50's AW models, with late 60's being the second most populous model.
Most of the AW hubs are 36 or 40 hole models with about a third being lower spoke count models.
I am also finding some AW hubs that have been converted to 5 speed, all mixed in with rest of the hubs.
At first I thought maybe they had been somewhat sorted by condition but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm finding a total mix condition wise throughout the buckets and barrels of hubs. Unfortunately, many of the disassembled hubs appear to have been either placed in a vise or opened up with a pipe wrench so about half the empty shells I'm finding are junk, but many of those shells are lower spoke count models.
At this point I can't say where this guy was getting so many hubs but a good number of them are pretty rough cosmetically, and about 1 out of every 20 is seized up and won't turn at all.

What I didn't expect to find was 28h S5 hubs.

What bike used a 28h S5 hub? .... The Raleigh Chopper took a 36h model, I don't recall ever seeing a Raleigh 20 with an S5 hub. I didn't even know they made the S5 in 28h.
Think small wheel. Haven't looked for them but small wheel Moulton/Brompton style brit bikes perhaps?
SA still makes an S5 hub with 28 hole drilling so there's got to be newer ones out there. Yours are old but there's history out there.

Last edited by clubman; 07-19-20 at 08:56 PM.
Likes For clubman: