Old 09-07-21, 09:10 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Todays work -

I made a bracket to mount vertical masts - one on each side. One thing that bothered me on my trip over the weekend was accessing the rear tub was a challenge and time consuming in that I needed to remove the light mast first.

The other thing is I have a mast that mounts to a bracket that sits on my rear rack that has been the host to my rear flashy light for a long time now, but it also a mast for a ham radio antenna. So I borrowed the same assembly theory for the mast mounts on the trailer - instead of one in the middle, though, I put one on each side.

The idea for the side mounts is I prefer the flashy light to be on the traffic side of the trailer - the left. I have an idea for another antenna mount and I'd rather have that on the non-traffic side. We'll see how things pan out as I go. Lots of options.

I did do something a little different on this bracket - I put diagonal supports in for extra support front to back and side to side. For the flashy light mast I don't think they would be needed, but they certainly strengthen things a lot.

I also experimented with a 3ord section in the tube rail frame. This pushes the usable frame rail length to a hair over 11'. I am not sure I'll ever need it this long, with 2 I still have close to 2' of frame length on top of the 2 tubs loaded up. That is likely all I'll need.