Old 09-27-21, 06:29 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Tonight's work -

I did relocate the axle. The math behind it is as follows:
Each tub is 32" long (the top lid length, not the bottom - the tubs taper to the bottom, but the ruling dimension for stacking tubs front to back is the 32"). 1/2 of that length is 16". If the heaviest stuff is in the rear tub the starting dimension I came up with was to start with the axle centered on the tub - 16". Then I added 10" behind that for room to shift the load rearward along the trailer frame's usable length. That came to 26". So that is where I set the axle.

The axle position is no absolute, I can move it anywhere at another time. However, the math made sense to me and that parallels how I used the trailer the first trip with the 2 tubs. I don't recall what the exact number was where I set the axle in the beginning - it was just a wild guess. Looking at the pictures from before where the axle is now is close to where it was before. On that trip I had plenty of trailer behind the axle to move the load, if I needed to.

I do not know how the weight is going to ride just yet with a heavy load and 2 tubs. The metal hitch is new since the 1st heavy loaded trip so the stretching (causing most of the surging I think) of the old rubber rod hitch not being there is going to be a significant change in and of itself. With the ability to adjust where the load is I am pretty confident in the set up.

I also am trying my 550 cord webbing idea. I have a series of truckers hitches to amplify the tension. I think it is around 8:1 mechanical advantage. I can get the cord so tight it sounds like a guitar string when plucked. Pretty cool. We'll se how it works.

Aside from the 1st knot at the starting end, all the rest of them are bowline's = easy to take apart, even after tensioning. So if I have to adjust them later I can.

Likes For KC8QVO: