Old 09-30-21, 06:23 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
More pictures. I think I am limited to 5 per post.

These pictures describe the location of the tubs along the trailer. This goes back to my "math" a few posts up with where I moved the axle to. I have the rear tub behind the "center point" of the axle (the axle being centered with the tub). I still have some room to move it back, but the way the weight worked out the locations were good where they were.

With the scenario I mentioned in the previous post of having too light of a hitch - I could have moved the tubs forward to alleviate that as opposed to moving stuff from one tub to the other. However, it was a lot easier to just transfer the stuff. On a tour where I had things organized in the tubs and may not want to move things between tubs then moving the tubs themselves forwards or backwards is certainly an option - it just takes more work to do so (which is why I didn't do it today). Moving the tubs would have helped out with the flexing of the frame, perhaps, more than just moving the stuff as it would have shifted the overall weight forwards - with the weight still concentrated more over the axle and maybe a bit behind.

Edit -
One more note is I am using 550 cord for the tie-downs also. I have a double acting truckers hitch (3:1 ratio I think) to tension each one. It works great. I have a bit of extra cord than I need so I can secure things on top or if I have to compress stuff inside I can. It is about as quick to work with as the ratchet straps earlier and is plenty of securment to keep things from bouncing off and moving around going down the road.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 09-30-21 at 06:32 PM.
Likes For KC8QVO: