View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 05:24 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by FredMau
But the solution is staring us right in the face: "Mimic" the interstates with light rail and/or Amtrak. We "KNOW" where people want to go, because that's what Interstates were (mostly) built towards.

EXAMPLE: I live in Marietta GA, on the northern outskirts of Atlanta. I have in-laws in the Indianapolis IN area. To DRIVE it, I can be there in 8-ish hours if I don't dawdle and stop at every (Oooh! Squirrel!) along the way.( I-75-I24-I40-I65). Suppose I wanted to Bike/Rail it and bike to MARTA which coulld get me to Amtrak which could ALMOST get me to Indianapolis? Minimum of 3 days on just Amtrak alone, Because from here to there you have to go through Wash DC.

That's Horse-[stuff]. Build the rail lines INSIDE the right-of way that already EXISTS for the interstates. MARTA does this somewhat in Atlanta. likewise MAXX in Portland and BART in the Bay Area.

Give me a way to Bike/Rail from Atlanta GA to Indianapolis Indiana that's AT LEAST reasonably close to automobiling and, swear to god, I'll become the country's foremost evangelist on the topic.
Unlike rail lines linking villages as in Europe, people do not live on the Interstate highways nor do they commute to a shop in town for work or to buy stuff. I have never lived anywhere in the USA where mass transit was available at all or would conceivable work.