View Single Post
Old 08-28-21, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
I tell people these days to take everything you think you will need and live off of it for the time you are going to be out, If you find you don't use that item, don't bring it. Obviously some things you may not use like some tools but make sure you know how to use the tools and think you might need them. If you are taking something you haven't used yet in time riding and you make sure your bike is in good working order a month or so out and right before you leave (but don't start replacing things before you leave do it that month ahead so you can readjust as needed).

With clothing generally one to wash one to wear for cycling clothing (at least especially for your chamois) and for walking around probably just one of each. Get good quick dry stuff and for underwear I recommend ExOfficio Give&Go, it is the best underwear on the planet and doesn't get so funky after a day of wearing and if need be can be washed and dried fairly quickly or can be spot cleaned. If you keep your underwear area nice and clean you may not need to clean your undies as much and also reduce saddle sores and such. That is small and light enough especially in the Sport version that I could carry a second pair without much penalty.

In terms of stove I would recommend something with a fuel bottle that can run a variety of fuels that way you don't have to take canisters or if it can run both you can carry just one canister for when you really can't find fuel that runs in it. I hate uni-fuel stoves but I will say the stove part can be quite a bit lighter and smaller so it depends but if you run out of stove canisters you may be in trouble hence why I recommended that.

I would probably ditch the SAK and just go with a small folding knife that locks into place somehow. Unless you need the other tools on it I don't care for my SAK for knifing duties these days and on tour I really don't need most of the other stuff on it or can make do with just a knife. Sometimes camping it is handy and certainly is a fun knife to have but if I need wine I can do a screw top or figure out something and things like screwdrivers I want on my multitool. Scissors I can probably get by with the knife an the saw is pretty tiny on mine and the file I really don't need so much other than for maybe my nails but I can do a lightweight emory board if I really cared. Tape and such I would wrap around something and carry less unless I use tape a lot in my daily life which I really don't aside from at work for boxes and tags sometimes.

A huge +1 on a PakTowel or similar I have a bunch of them I usually carry a washcloth size for pots and pans and other random cleaning and then a large towel for my bathing but I have longer hair and like a big towel but with the quick dry stuff it takes up less space and dries quickly. Keep the cotton at home it stay wet a long time doesn't wick moisture and is just not useful for touring and camping and stuff like that. It is fine for casual wear and in the home but travel, no.

Also a lightweight pair of sandals(flip flops are excellent) on top of your rack is nice. Having a second pair of footwear is nice so your feet can breathe a little and you aren't always having to stuff it in the same shoes. I would recommend maybe using some crinkled newspaper at night if you have really sweaty feet and most especially if you are encountering rain or puddles. It may not be a long term cycling solution but you may find a light pair of sandals (flip flops not so good) nice in the rain and save your shoes for drier weather as well. I have known people to do that.
Likes For veganbikes: