Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I did a lot of fasted rides and spent about 18 months in ketosis on a LCHF diet. My guess from experience is to be careful with high intensity work. The body gets good at making glycogen from fat, so, it isn't like you are always depleted. I know that with sufficient time and training, it becomes impossible to bonk.

mTORC1 and mTORC2 are interesting. I was in a weight loss catabolic state when I crashed last September breaking 10 bones. I was intermittently fasting. I had to decide what to do diet-wise while recovering. The research is conflicting WRT bone formation. I found that my resting heart rate increased from mid 50's to 85-90 BPM. I would wake multiple times every night drenched in sweat despite having no blanket on and the A/C set to 65F. I also was always hungry. I was concerned enough to see my Doc. He got his Medical degree in the military and did trauma work in war. He said it was normal and that I was probably burning 5500 calories a day healing. So, I decided to eat and supplement heavily. I also healed very, very fast for an old fart per all the Docs and PTs.

Now that I do need to lose weight and that the bones are healed (although the elbow still hurts), I am trying to figure an approach to weight loss. One that does not impair bone health or lose muscle. I am thinking of paying for Dexa Scans over the next 6 months. My training object is generally to get as low a VLa max as possible meaning I can ride at a pretty good clip burning a high percentage of fat. This takes a lot of riding time sub threshold. I know that these types of rides provoke profound changes in mitochondria and associated enzymes but is there a cost to one's bone health? That is my question that I have not been able to figure out. My SWAG is 2-4 hour Z1/Z2 rides while IF are ok but more intensity or duration could be a problem.

Mitochondria turn over every couple months. I am doing my training bassawkwards, starting with intensity now and then moving to lower intensity and longer distances. Why? I was able to do very short efforts and I felt maintaining max aerobic capacity is critical for me at my age. It will be interesting. I just can't decide whether to inject IF. I do not agree with those who say you can get into ketosis in 8-12 hours. My blood lactate meters used over the years says overwise. I am thinking of having Sunday family dinner and then long Z2 ride monday and Tuesday, breaking the fast at lunch Tuesday. Doing this weekly.
I have a riding buddy who spent a lot of time with a family in India. There, as is very common, they fasted completely 1 day/week. He continued doing that when he came back to the US and resumed riding with us. He's aged out now, but at that time, he was a very strong rider at 6' and 145 lbs. Great climber. The 1-day fast was hard for him to recover from and he quit doing it in favor of being able to ride strong.

The way to lose weight and ride strong is slightly smaller portions. The more hardcore way is to go out for 6 hour below VT1 rides with only water, eating normally otherwise. I think riding hard is worse for bone loss. I don't remember the reason, but during hard efforts, the body pulls calcium out of the blood to increase its concentration, then puts it back into the bones during recovery - or it's supposed to. I've started to take a gram of calcium about an hour before a hard ride or even a hard-ish ride, then magnesium after. There's a study out there that says it works, but I don't do enough DEXAa to know personally. Going up skiing, I've fallen hard a couple times on the ice in the parking lot, didn't break anything. IME anytime you're not riding, you should be working on recovery as seems appropriate.

If you're concerned about bone strength, the only thing that actually works is heavy work in the gym. I've read that bones don't increase in strength until they get stressed to about 10% of their breaking strength. Bones are quite smart.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6279907/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...56328295003789
https://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jo.../hernandez.pdf