Old 03-14-22, 01:42 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Everything I know about on-bike nutrition, I learned from reading every pub on the Hammer Nutrition website, 20-some years ago. I practiced what they preached and waddyknow, it worked. Basically, it's about the same thing you're talking about. That's how I ride, too. On big rides, I do 100g of carbs, using my 7:1 carb/protein powder, 3 hours before the ride, then nothing until maybe 30' into it, then a swallow every 15'. Before I started with the powder, I used bars, same thing, 1/4 of a Clif Bar every 15'. All one has to do is to slowly eat half one's burn. Don't even need a PM - Strava's kJ estimate is close enough for practical purposes. Just eat like that and ride your heart out for however long. No nutritional foolery required. Fat burning is obviously happening, no need to try to eat back your burn later.
I think a lot of us fall into variants of this, though circumstances do make it a little different for me. For example, my big rides begin early in the morning, around daybreak, and i'm not going to be awake 3 hours before that. I eat a good breakfast, and am riding maybe 30-40 minutes later. Consequently, I am not so interested in eating early in the ride (though I do make sure to hydrate). A few hours into the ride, I am eating small amounts regularly.