Old 01-01-24, 11:02 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Hot weather, not even close
Once you hit thermal limits, you have to slow down or cause damage.
Over 35c I'm probably down to 25-33% of normal output

Cold weather DOES have a performance penalty physically but it's only about 25% for me, then at a certain temp, your penalty is the clothing and equipment needed.
At the extremes, I'd have to agree. The only time I've ever hit a wall where I felt in danger of not being physically able to proceed safely was at 3PM in the middle of the summer on the last five miles of a 50 mile ride. I only finished by putting the bike into full "granny" and pedaling with the least effort possible to continue going forward. In retrospect, I should have stopped. Maybe below freezing would do the same if I weren't properly clothed. But I've only been dumb enuf to challenge the heat, not the cold.

As for time of year, it is way easier for me to get up early and cycle with temps in the 80-90s in the summer than to cycle in the 50s in the winter. I prefer warmth and sweating more to being chilled.