View Single Post
Old 07-31-20, 10:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by ctmullins

SunTour Symmetric shifters - $195 - just kidding - really $30

I’m a huge SunTour fan, and I really love these little guys, and am reluctant to sell them. But I don’t think I’ll ever use them. They have that clever cam-actuation that automatically trims the left lever as you move the right one. They also include the discreet clamp for frames without the special braze-on. These require a frame with cable routing above the bottom bracket.

If you want to run these shifters with under-the-BB guides, you can make a kid's summer camp turks head ring around the downtube between the WB bosses. Use 1/8" cord. Cables won't touch the paint. I've been running SunTour Supebes (different mechanism, same layout and cable exit) for 35 years. Replaced the turks head once.

I'm guessing one of those top tube HB protectors you see on track bikes would work nicely if it is thick enough. (As used at actual velodromes and hipster fixies to keep the handlebars from slamming the TT paint. No cables to soften the swinging action.)

Ben