mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Been a busy season so far! A quick summary:
  • won some early season training crits
  • Tried to win our first NorCal crit, Cal Aggie, but failed and came in 3rd (that's the one Jeff crashed in, which happened behind me)
  • traveled down south for the Roger Millikan crit last month - damn they don't **** around with local crits in SoCal! Faster and more aggressive than up in NorCal, but I eeked out a top 10 in a big field, it was fun
  • did Valley of the Sun Pro/1 field - the RR was mostly about not crashing, and was SUPER hard up the climb the first and last laps, but easy otherwise. Got 26th, at the back of the main group, but had nothing else in the legs. Crit was SKETCH AF, flatted out 30 mins in and feel like I got lucky tbh
  • we flew back from VoS on Monday morning then drove to Napa the same day for Cherry Pie crit! Had nothing in the legs to do much besides finish
  • Snelling had a partially new course ("the bridge" is under repair, finally) - but they somehow found some even worse roads lol. Finished
  • Won the Merced crit the next day from a break that I started! Great to open the account so early in the season.
  • Last weekend was the Coppertown circuit race - I was on leadout duty but my teammate didn't go early enough (and my readout wasn't fast enough) so he only got 3rd
Overall it's been awesome to have a great team that works together so well and races often. It's not always about me winning, I'm also trying to teach some of the younger guys a few tricks and help them get some wins as well.

Next up is Land Park crit & Bariani RR, should be fun! Got 3rd at Bariani last year, let's see if I can do better..

Here's a video from the Merced crit I won from my teammate who bridged up to the break - you can see me in full flight! What you can't see is me touching my pedal to the pavement in the last corner lol.

my race videos