Old 11-19-19, 09:29 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Is it possible? Answer: (a qualified) yes.

Caveat: I do not know with certainty that this retrofit is possible in a 1.0 Roubaix. I do know, however, that it works perfectly with a '19 Sirrus X Comp, which uses the Diverge version (progressive spring) of FS 1.0.

My bike's ('19 Sirrus X Comp) 1.0 FS was defective from the get-go, and was replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago. Specialized shipped a 2.0 (not 1.0, not 1.5) FS cartridge to my dealer as a replacement. It was installed with no issues, other than a spacer needed to work with the stock stem; the 2.0 Roubaix has a dedicated stem. Aesthetically, it looks like it belongs on the bike. I compared my 'new' Sirrus front end with a new Roubaix Expert (FS 2.0) at my lbs -- the look is identical.

What I can tell you: there is no comparison between the original and this 2.0 version. The latter not only looks nicer, but is utterly silent and effective. The hyraulic damping works as claimed: fully open, full travel; fully 'locked' is almost (not quite) a true lock-out; and everything in between.

I've no idea of the retail cost of the 2.0 cartridge, though I know it isn't inexpensive, but if you have an otherwise very nice Roubaix, and if this retrofit would work with your bike, it would be well worth it imo.

I talked to one of my go-to guys at my local Specialized LBS today and told him about what I've heard here. I asked him to get to the bottom of it and get an definitive answer from Specialized. I asked him to be discreet and act as if he was asking for himself out of curiosity, and not for a customer. I would think Specialized doesn't want to let on it's possible to change out a 1.0 or 1.5 for the 2.0, because obviously they want you to buy the higher end bikes to get the 2.0.

So my guy called me at closing to let me know he talked to a very reliable source, and he told him that aesthetically, it could be done and look fine from the outside. But on the inside it would not work ...especially after some riding time. Foregoing all the technical lingo he used, the bottom line is that the 2.0 is a longer cartridge and requires more room internally to work, and the bikes that are equipped with it are designed to have it. Swapping one out, while looking fine, would present an internal problem within the head tube that could potentially be dangerous.

Now, I don't know if everything I heard today was the truth, a total lie ...or somewhere in between. But, it puts you in a box where you really can't pursue it.

Last edited by one4smoke; 11-19-19 at 09:38 PM.