Old 11-19-19, 09:50 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I talked to one of my go-to guys at my local Specialized LBS today and told him about what I've heard here. I asked him to get to the bottom of it and get an definitive answer from Specialized. I asked him to be discreet and act as if he was asking for himself out of curiosity, and not for a customer. I would think Specialized doesn't want to let on it's possible to change out a 1.0 or 1.5 for the 2.0, because obviously they want you to buy the higher end bikes to get the 2.0.

So my guy called me at closing to let me know he talked to a very reliable source, and he told him that aesthetically, it could be done and look fine from the outside. But on the inside it would not work ...especially after some riding time. Foregoing all the technical lingo he used, the bottom line is that the 2.0 requires more room internally to work, and the bikes that are equipped with it are designed to have it. Swapping one out, while looking fine, would present an internal problem within the head tube that could potentially be dangerous.

Now, I don't know if everything I heard today was the truth, a total lie ...or somewhere in between. But, it puts you in a box where you really can't pursue it.
Not doubting at all the veracity of your report of what your source said, but what was said strikes me as total nonsense. There is absolutely no way that Specialized (the company) would have supplied my LBS with a 2.0 cartridge as a warranty replacement for a 1.0 cartridge if installing the former on my bike would be potentially dangerous, and I trust my LBS enough to know that they would not have installed it or released the bike to me were there any potentially dangerous issues.