View Single Post
Old 11-18-18, 09:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I'd spend a couple of dollars on new bar tape, and a few bucks on lever hoods. $500 to $600 to the right buyer.
I'm gonna disagree on the tape and hoods. Virtually everything on there looks original and the buyer that wants this bike -- and there will be at least one -- will likely want to put their own stylish touches on there. And they're certainly not going to be swayed by faded tape and crispy hoods. Original racks matched to the bike? First gen Cyclone? Heck, it's even got the original dust caps. And sexy-as-hell paint, too. The only thing that seems out of place is the Campy DT cable stop. Gonna fetch a premium exactly as it sits, and I think a so-so redo of the cockpit won't improve on that; may even detract, depending on how it shapes up.

To the OP: I suspect you'll sell it right here, and fairly quickly. Very cool bike.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera