Old 01-07-20, 06:47 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
All of the leg press info is assuming that you are using a slanted leg press machine, like maybe 45 degrees.

If you are using a vertical leg press machine (where you lay on your back and push the weight directly up into the air), then you are lifting 100% of the weight listed.

It's difficult to speak about cable-driven leg press machines (the non-freeweight kind). These do lift the weight vertically in the air, but it may not be obvious if there are pulleys involved that provide some mechanical advantage (e.g. Move the move your feet 1 foot but raise the weight 0.5 feet).

To answer your question about leg press standards. To be honest, I think you'll be better served by finding a good, progressive leg press program and see how far you can go. I took the Starting Strength squat program and adapted it for Leg Press and Single Leg Press over the years with great success. I never focused on both. It was either my main lift was leg press or my main lift was single leg press for that long lifting period. I also used weightlifting shoes when the weight got heavier. This helped a lot.