View Single Post
Old 02-09-21, 11:09 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm in agreement with throwing out the table. Doesn't take into account rider weight or trail conditions. I use the "squeeze the tire good 'nuf" method.

That and my fat bike lives in the garage so I don't have the temperature differential to deal with. Actually read somewhere that bringing a bike in out during winter causes condensation build up which may rust some parts on the bike.
It's not intended to consider your weight or trail conditions where do people get this idea? Did you look at the chart, honestly?!?

The chart is showing the difference of pressure at different temps. You need to know your pressure for your weight and the trail conditions ... I hope you can handle that. Repeating my earlier post, my bike lives in the basement and I know the pressure I want outside when it's -15F, and I use this chart to set the correct pressure in my basement. Again, repeating, I ride my bike outta the house, I'm not carrying a floor pump and it'll take a few miles for my tires to drop to air temp. If you drive to your local trails - your tires will be at temp when you arrive and you likely have a floor pump with you too, cool! You don't need this information ... just move along.

For years, my winter bike lived in the garage and this chart wasn't needed. My current detached garage is as secure as a screen door, so my bikes live in the basement. Bikes stored inside really don't have any worse issues with corrosion. Simply be sure the bike can thaw and dry between rides. We're all riding through the same road salt and crap. I clean my winter bikes the same now as I did at my old house, typically a quick wash once a month and deep clean in the spring. After 1,000s of winter miles and roughly 10 Minneapolis winters, my winter bikes wear out parts at about the same frequency as my summer bikes. No big deal.
Likes For Hypno Toad: