Old 03-15-21, 12:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Having read the OP's post and all the replies, this seems to be the best solution that I've read. I have used a strap based HRM for the last 10 years but would go this route if I wanted to use my Apple Watch as an HRM. However, I'm not too keen on using my watch as I really don't want to mess up the glass on a fall or crash. I'm wondering, though, does this require that the phone be in BTLE range for this to work? Nothing I saw on their website and video confirmed or denied that the phone must be present.
the phone isn’t a part of the whole thing. It’s an app in the watch talking to the dongle. The app on the watch has to be proximal to the dongle to pair and it’s paired to the watch not to the phone.

I typically ride with my phone, so just now I turned off BT on my iPhone and connected up to my bike computer using the dongle. It worked fine and that confirms that the watch is not used in the connection.

FWIW, I have had an Apple Watch since they first came out. I’ve found them to be the next thing to indestructible compared to other watches I’ve had. My Omega Seamaster scratches a lot easier than does the Apple Watch and that’s supposed to be built uber tough. You can also get screen protectors for the Apple Watch too as well as protective cases. At any rate, I have really liked this dongle from NPE. It’s a nice product. I have at least 10 rides in on it now and it’s been flawless.

Would have been nice if Apple would have allowed the HR to be broadcast (but I get the security issues of doing that) but that still would be on BTLE and most exercise equipment is ANT+ plus ANT+ is lower power. Bottom line - this doesn’t need the phone at all. It’s a nice product.