View Single Post
Old 10-29-21, 04:56 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
No, bleeding brakes is not rocket science. But ... needing to bleed a brake (rear!) because it is overheating? Your work area does NOT inspire me with confidence. Just keep in mind that there are TWO people on that thing when you take it out in traffic. That is one job I would have left to a trained professional. Or at least if I did it myself I would be doing it by the book. Which you may have. But IDK ... didn't you have issues with brakes already and went to four piston calipers? What size are the rotors? Those are what I would have changed back when you had the caliper issue. Are they IceTech rotors or some other kind of heat shedding design? The front brake sees much harder use. It should be boiling hydraulic fluid as well. Does it? Maybe you are overusing the rear brake on descents? You don't have a drag brake so you have no choice but to make the front brake more of a player and take some of the burden on the rear. Just be careful and safe. It's dangerous enough out there with the crap that no one has any control over. Don't make matters worse and take on projects that have a direct impact on safety unless fully up to speed on the technology. I know, I know, I'm over a line, but some of your stories Foof ... just be careful.
I have bled brakes several times but this is the first on the back. if I messed it up I would have taken it in. I am somewhat of a clutz and working so low to the ground is hard on me. I know How to make it easier next time. I think I do use the back more. plus I keep it at 25 so so that takes more braking. I usually let off one for a bit then switch but we have a rim brake and I am going to have my wife use that more. we have a lot of steep hills in Portland too. we go down one a few times a week thats 20% grade. I need to use the front more to balance it out. we do have use tech 203 rotors. the back has been getting black gunk on it from overheating. so I am going to work on my braking. but do a lot of hills on our rides. 40 miles 3000 feet of climbing and close to the same descending.