View Single Post
Old 12-06-21, 01:55 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Experimentation and ideally a selection of options to choose from... I thought I has a system nailed down while gravel riding and now MTB'ing I find I'm overdressed for the same conditions.

For me, the speeds are lower and exertion levels are a bit higher... so having windproof materials is less useful (generally hotter/sweat'er) and dressing less.

I have a mix of:
  • base-layer shirts (sleeveless, short sleeve and long sleeve) in poly and a short sleeve in wool
  • socks (thin poly, thin wool, medium wool)
  • bibs (undershorts, shorts, thermal tights and windproof thermal tights)
  • MTB over-shorts
  • long and short sleeve poly jerseys
  • long sleeve thermal jerseys
  • cycling jacket (thermal and windproof front/arms)
  • headband and skull cap
  • gloves (thinner, medium, windproof, etc..)
  • platform and clipless shoes
  • toe covers for clipless
So far the coldest I've ridden is 27-32* on a night gravel ride... what I wore: clipless shoes with toe covers, med wool socks, thermal bib tights, MTB over-short, wool short sleeve base, cycling jacket, headband, light/windproof gloves.

I was still getting a bit sweaty on my back and my toes started to freeze after 1.5 hrs. The clipless shoes are ventilated and very thin, so a whole shoe cover would have been better. That outfit, for me, I think would get me down to 15* MTBing with MTB shoes instead, skull cap vs. headband and windproof thermals tights.