View Single Post
Old 12-09-21, 03:52 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Sometimes the batteries in Garmin units don't last as long as we'd like them to. I really do wish they would make their devices so that the battery could be easily replaced if needed, but I guess they figure it would compromise the wet weather integrity. Besides, it's a good incentive to upgrade to a newer, more capable device.
I had a Varia unit (several years old) that would die after less than an hour of use. Garmin didn't offer any battery replacement service, so even though the battery was only about $15, the best they could do was to offer a "refurbished" unit, which probably meant one that they had replaced the battery. It wasn't much less in cost than a new unit, so I opted for new. At least it has the warranty.

It's not about weather integrity...Much like phones they don't make the batteries replaceable. Forces you to upgrade instead of buying a battery. Some of my older phones I had them for years and just replaced the battery when it wore out. Phone companies figured they can't sell as many phones if people replace batteries so they make them disposable.

One of the reasons I won't buy bike lights unless the batteries are replaceable. Luckily that's still an option. I really loathe devices that don't have replaceable batteries.