your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
This "Ride Your Age!" crap is for the birds

...or for the young-uns, at least.

For my 61st birthday today the missus said "let's ride over to [area we haven't been to in almost a year], I designed a route that's 63 miles." I said "hey, apparently everyone's into this Ride Your Age! thing nowadays, can you make it 61 miles instead?" She did some tweaks to the RWGPS file, said "I think we're set" and so this morning after coffee we set out.

Now, bear in mind, ever since COVID -- so >18 months -- we've almost completely stopped doing group rides, and without multiple drafting/pacelining partners the will to go long and hard has dwindled considerably. So whereas two years ago a typical Saturday ride for us would be 65-85 miles with 3-6 other like-minded cyclists, for the past year-and-a-half it's been more like 30-40 miles with just me and Ms. Wonderful, very rarely joined by one other rider. In these last ~18 months I think I've ridden more than 60 miles maybe 5 times total.

And then thanks to RWGPS not quite understanding precisely how gerrymandered the MUP here is (that was supposed to make up only 15 miles of those 61) I rode quite a bit more than my age today. Let's just say that I'm all set for the next 7 years.

And *#%^&@ do my legs hurt now! This is crazy. From now on I'm gonna Ride My Age! in metric.