Old 12-13-21, 06:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Don't overlook the usefulness of speed. PBP is a ways away. Between now and then, working to increase speed is a worthwhile endeavor. The combination of stop efficiency and moving speed can give you the time you need.
So true. Increasing average speed 10% from 20 to 22 km/h saves almost 6 hours towards that 8 hour respite. Ways of doing that are beyond my silly post here but wanted to share how I see PBP terrain and where time can be saved. I see it as 440 miles of relatively flat riding, 160 miles of moderate climbing and 160 miles of moderate descending. In terms of time, it is 50% flat, 40 % climbing and 10% descending. Increasing speed 10% on the flats riding solo is really hard, it takes around 30% more power whereas it only takes 10% more power to increase speed 10% when climbing. (Of course).

To pick on myself, I am overweight now and to point out one way to get faster. If my bike and me weigh 100Kg and I can pedal with good solid effort at 200 watts, I am climbing at 2 W/Kg. If I lose the 20 Kg of lard, my total weight is 80Kg. If I also increase my fitness to 240 watts, my climbing ability is now 3 W/Kg. This means I can climb 50% faster. In terms of time, it saves our slightly lardy rider 6.5 hours overall on PBP.

Improved climbing has a hidden benefit. You can easily stay with groups (not getting dropped) and get the benefit of a draft where the speed benefit is more than 10%.