Old 12-31-21, 03:33 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Well that's interesting. I have not used Cyclemeter with a powermeter, but I have compared its calorie estimates to those from other apps, and found that it comes in about 10% lower. There is a "calories scaling factor" (under Settings/Advanced). I wonder if that got mis-set.
this was a while ago and I subsequently lost confidence in the company’s understanding of bike computers and exercise computation. Clearly, they didn’t understand it. Given at the time, I was trying to lose weight and I wound up wasting a lot of time and effort using their metrics. That’s actually when I made the transition to power meters so I suppose that was a good thing.

I did circle back and run a Wahoo ELEMNT and a Garmin bike computer all side by side with Cyclemeter on my phone. The Wahoo and Garmin where pairs to the ANT+ side of my HRM and cyclemeter to the BT side. Same connection scheme for my speed and cadence sensor. So all of the computers were getting the exact same data. I also was running a power meter.

The Wahoo and Garmin were in ok agreement for calories and were somewhat higher than the power meter. The cyclemeter number was around 1.5-2X the correct number. So it was a bad algorithm on their part. They had it wrong.

I’ve since been involved as a beta and alpha tester on two other bike computers and it’s apparent that getting a bike computer’s software right is far from a straightforward task.

Cyclemeter is a small company and based on what I saw it was pretty clear they didn’t have the horsepower in software development to keep up. At least that’s what it looked like to me. So I dumped them. Probably ok for basic speed, cadence stuff but once you go the next step up, then I think I’d be pretty skeptical of their product.