Old 12-31-21, 03:40 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'm not great at it, but have raced road, TT, and cross for a few years now. In a group ride or a race I don't really look at the power, maybe once in a blue moon in a TT to check on pacing. I can get a 1.01 or so IF for a TT on feel alone. I say that to say that I've tried to do intervals outside with power and personally unless you're really really good at it or have a nice steady slow long climb to use, I don't find outdoor intervals that easy to accomplish within that tight target window of power. Our roads aren't long enough, stop signs, etc....

So the on-bike meter largely tracks training stress and is a convenient check once in a while on what you're doing.

If I had to own ONE thing, it would be an indoor smart trainer.
If I had to do my idiotic ideas, I'd do both by getting the smart trainer new and just a cheap left-only crank meter for outside to track rides as "good enough".

Especially as if you plan to Zwift, smart trainer. I tried it with a dumb trainer and my on bike meter......so freaking boring. The resistance changes of terrain is what makes it more interesting.
Yeah, power meters outside are interesting, but I've never been able to use them for intervals - for the reasons you say.
But as I have the PM pedals, I haven't been able to justify to myself the cost of upgrading to a true smart trainer. I do Zwift with a dumb trainer, metered accurately with my pedals. I'm sure the experience would be better with a smart trainer, but I don't know that I would do much more zwifting than I already do. My limit on the trainer is partly boredom, but partly just stationary saddle time. For that reason, I think a DIY rocker plate would give me more bang for my buck.