Old 01-22-22, 01:59 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Mark Muller used stickers that said Phydeaux. There were only a few frames. Mark was on good terms with Ed Schwinn long before he became Richard’s partner, so there were facilities available to use.

Scott at CN was Scott Padiak. Saw him just two years ago. He said a typical frame took 80 hours of shop time and nothing could ever be done until everyone else had finally gone home. I still think his builds were the best of Cyclery North. His guess for total number built, all builders, was under 100. He would not say a bad word about Eddy.

All guesses above about Eddy’s injury are wrong. Maybe another decade and it will be reasonable to tell the story.

The snobbery and elitism were endlessly annoying. Yes, it was there. One structural factor that fed that was there were never enough parts and never enough bikes. Never enough knowledgeable wenches to repair all the bikes that had been sold. Always racers hanging around the shop in need of everything and without enough money to pay. Ron used to quote simply crazy prices for custom RRBs, he would tell me later that was because it would never have been possible to build all the bikes people wanted. And nearly all of his customers would be served just as well by production bikes. Those who needed custom got the frames and the price was realistic. Astronomical quoted prices kept the masses at bay.

Who always had parts and bikes and frames back then were Othon Ochsner, Sr. and Oscar Wastyn. Who were from a different era. Kids wanted to buy from kids and hang with kids. Took a long time to figure that out. Othon you could find at the races or you could visit Al Stiller’s bike shop. Othon and Al were neighbors and in many ways partners. Othon always had every single Campagnolo part you could want. He had known Tullio forever. Of course the old guys wanted invoices paid promptly and would not substitute a hit from the pipe or a really good story for payment.
Now that you remind me of Scott's last name, I remember that is who I painted some frames for when he 1st got married. He told some really wild stories about conflict while working at Cyclery North. There was some seriously bad blood between 2 parties there (whoever the 2 parties were) and there was talk of sabotage. That is why he drove around the lake to have me paint his frames and I got a chance to meet his wife and new kid. Our last names are similar phonetically even though the spellings are pretty different. I'll have to send Andy a private email about what I remember so the negative stuff isn't floating around on the web forever.

Andy is the blue frame of yours in the fixture one you helped me paint a few years ago? Good times!