Old 02-17-21, 09:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Interesting build/restoration project, I'm following this one to watch how the rust is handled by a caring and skilled enthusiast from here. My '80 ( as best as the Learned Elders in this forum can determine,) is a nice riding bike. The frame set and several Campagnolo components generously came to me from Drillium Dude in 2016. I built it up with all Nuovo Record, but did not bother with matching the component dates. The colourway is original, a deep emerald metal flake green, no chrome rear triangle or fork this early in the history. the bar wrap in now green, tubulars are Vittorias.

Best wishes on your build, subscribing to this thread!

Bill
Thank you! I've been slacking on updating with photos for a couple of days here, but that will happen in the next post tonight, haha. The rust, or rather, pitting from the rust, will be interesting to observe and be educated on with regard to future restorative efforts. This is where I will ask those that have experienced this same thing and ask how they remedied it when it came time to refinish--did powder coating smooth over things sufficiently, or would a good coat of primer, sanding, and then color + clear be a lot better? It will come down to how much I really like it. If painting is the better option, I'd be up for doing it myself, using a 2K enamel clear coat (with proper respirator of course) to "do it right" instead of simply leaving a base coat. It will really depend.

I am glad that early Medicis weren't as chrome-laden, which allows me to "choose my own adventure." Your 1980 looks fantastic. Deep dark green with the dark anodized rims and tan wall tires. Whew!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: