Old 08-23-22, 11:37 AM
The_woo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
What brand of chain did you get 10,000 miles out of? Just curious. I have heard that Campagnolo chains last the longest but maybe Wippermann too since they seem built in a similar fashion. I have been trying different brands of chains and must say that the KMC and SRAM chains I have used get to ~ 0.75%-1% elongation in as little as 1800 or 2000-ish miles. I’m liking the Wippermann, Taya and Campagnolo (C-9) chains I have been running on my 3x9 and 2x10 club racing bikes.

I have been waxing for 2 years now. I prioritize “quietness” on my bike. A newly waxed chain is nicely silent and stays that way for a while. I’m gonna be honest and admit that the plain gulf canning wax in mini-crock pot seems to partly flake off after about ~100 miles of riding. When the chain get to this point I can hear a gnashing sound when applying a lot of torque to the cranks. I’ve become OCD lately about always being in the correct gear and keeping the torque no more than moderate.

I like chain waxing enough and it is habitual now that even with only about 3 or 4 forty+ mile rides on one chain before swapping it out for its partner (I’m doing a 2 chain per bike system and always have the next freshly waxed one ready to go) - I am still committed to continue the waxing program into the future. Just wanted to clarify the statement that waxing prolongs chain life. In my experience it does not. But I’m OK with that.
ZFC suggests YBN chains are the best for waxing & longevity. Some models actually come with no factory grease on them at all.