Old 08-23-22, 11:58 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know that there are a couple of true one-use quick links out there, but the Shimano ones, that specify that they not to be reused, are meant to be paired with one chain for the lifetime of that chain; you can take them off and put them back on, they just don't want you reusing it on another chain once the first wears out. That said, I'll still replace a quick link if it starts to get too easy to pop on and off.
I've seen a rough estimate of safely being able to reuse a quick link 5 times, so let's say I immersion wax every 500-600km, that's well short of the total expected lifetime of a waxed chain. Using lube and a 105 chain that gets replaced more often might actually be cheaper than what I'm doing, which is using DA chains for their supposed longevity and lower friction.

I'm getting a new MTB this week and will definitely clean and wax the 12 speed chain. Given the lower mileage I don't expect to take the chain off that often, and I'd much rather be able to wipe the chain down than have to go through the full degreasing and cleaning process.