View Single Post
Old 11-22-22, 12:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I'll be honest with you... I would much prefer the open roads you showed to fighting mindless motorists just to get to some store. I stopped bike commuting about 7 years ago, and since WFH came along I see little need for it... so all my cycling is pleasure riding these days... my favorite kind of ride is single track or fire road, with no mechanized traffic around.

I was just playing devils advocate there.

On the other hand, I have seen bike heaven... it was in Oulu Finland where a fantastic bike path network exists that can get you to anywhere a car can go, while largely avoiding all automobile traffic. Almost totally separate network with underpasses, bridges and all dedicated to cycling... it is even plowed in winter. (except for the beach areas... "no one goes there in winter...")

But yeah, here in the Automotive States United... (backwards USA) I prefer something similar to what you show. 35+ years of daily bike commuting on roads full of mindless motorists is enough for me.

Even during those commuting years my favorite rides were the weekends when I would go off on very lonely country roads for a long 70 mile jaunt. So few cars, such great scenery!
That second road has its traffic dangers: