View Single Post
Old 11-22-22, 12:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Locally, all I know of are some old railbeds turned into biking/hiking trails, no motor vehicles allowed. It's nice to ride on them without worrying about getting run over.
That fourth photo I posted is from a form Northern Pacific rail line that takes one from Montana over Lookout Pass then down to Mullan, ID. The land is owned by the U.S. Forest Service. The road is open to motor vehicles. The only other way up there is I-90 for about 5 miles. (The trail is nearly twice as long.) Both times I rode it east to west I took I-90 down from Lookout Pass to Mullan. The 7 miles went by in a flash. There is actually a pullout where you can stop and view a large remediation site down below. The area was polluted in the wake of the massive silver mining operations that once took place there. (Mining started with gold, but it was discovered that there was far more silver to be had.) When you get to Mullan you pick up the eastern end of the Trail of the Coeur d' Allenes. There are warning signs on some land along side of the trail warming you not to mess with the soil or water because of the pollution.

And then there is this on Wiki about Wallace:

"A mining community with a "work hard, play hard" attitude, Wallace became well known for a permissive approach toward drinking, gambling and decriminalized prostitution.[26] From 1884 to 1991, illegal yet regulated brothel-based sex work openly flourished because locals believed that sex work prevented **** and bolstered the economy, so long as it was regulated and confined to the northeastern part of town.[27] Throughout the rest of the country, progressive era politics drove red-light districts underground, but madams in Wallace enjoyed unprecedented status as influential businesswomen, community leaders, and philanthropists.[27] Between 1940 and 1960, for example, an average of 30 to 60 women came into town to work in one of the five well-established brothels."

These days, one of the most popular attractions, aside from the trail, is a brewery/restaurant/campground.