View Single Post
Old 01-17-24, 11:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 1,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
... in addition to the main light running off the generator. I will look into the most efficient LED emitter to mate with dynamo. I am hoping that the light part of the setup has been updated during the last decade. If not, older LEDs were not as efficient as the newer versions. If needed, I would swap the emitter and the driver. We shall see… another winter project, they keep adding up.
I am not exactly sure what you are saying, but I think you are saying you might try to build a light or re-build a light. Many of the light models change frequently, so I think you would find they are up to date for tech.

I think the current lights out there are plenty adequate, but most of the dynohub powered lights are designed for on-road German standards, a low flat beam for adequate lighting and not wasting light up higher or putting light into oncoming car drivers eyes.

And then there are the lights that have a flashlight beam with a round pattern, which off-road riders may prefer. I am quite happy with the B&M lights that have 70 or more Lux for on-road use or for rail trails. I have B&M dyno powered headlamps on four bikes.

I bought most of my lights from European internet sellers, was quite happy with their pricing. Some of the European sellers have a very high shipping fee for the first item, but additional items do not add to that cost.