Old 11-30-22, 02:02 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Drillium Dude , I don't mean to question your need, desire, or preference for high PSIs, but please enlighten me.

I ask because I'm currently running on the road bikes I'm riding regularly:
  1. 24mm Tufo tubular-clinchers at 80-85 psi rear and 70-75 psi front.
  2. 25mm Vittoria Rally tubulars at 75-80 psi rear and 65-70 psi front.
  3. 24mm Vittoria Corsa tubulars at 80-85 psi rear and 70-75 psi front.
  4. 28mm Schwalbe One tubulars at 70-80 psi rear and 60-70 psi front.
Currently I'm tipping the scales at about 220lbs and I find the ride more comfortable and the difference in overall average speed on the same routes even if I inflate to approximately 100 psi.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.
My weight fluctuates between 180 and 195, but I don't know that it has any bearing on my 'ride requirements'. My riding style demands a planted rear end, and a front end I can lean on, plus I take a lot of feedback from the road surface into consideration when I make moves. All of this requires a hard-blown set of tires with which to transfer the info to my hands, feet, and butt. Sounds funny, but it's true. Low pressures induce a feeling like being on a pogo stick, and the feedback is mushy and inconsistent; I cant plant the rear end, much less do anything with precision regarding the front end, with tires performing with too much bounce/rebound.

High pressures do allow the occasional skipping of the rear or front tire, but again, feedback is such that I know when it's going to happen, and reflexes compensate. Like catching a moment of oversteer in a car.

The Alpina was fitted (unknowingly) with the aforementioned Elites, and taken up to 115psi, which was still squishy and ponderous-feeling, when someone here noted the sidewalls said the pressure was limited to 105psi. First time I noticed the rating didn't match the ad copy, and I couldn't imagine the feeling if I were to let out 10psi.

Anyway, those are still on the bike, but I didn't bring it with me and it won't see much use (now a zero bike in WA), for good reason. The 'cushy ride' many describe when running tubulars at lower pressures simply translates into 'bouncing' for me and my sensitive contact points. I know I'm an outlier

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude: