View Single Post
Old 07-12-16, 08:16 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
And it most certainly does, the "right to drive" wins every time these days, and for the last 50 years or so it would seem...
If so, does that make it right? Does might make right?

Originally Posted by jon c.
You could say that, but as the "soul" is a fabricated concept I'm not sure it really advances your argument.
How does anyone's opinion of the soul's existence relate to what I said? You could also say the body is the vehicle for the mind and the logic would be the same. People are inalienably attached to their bodies but not to their cars.

I don't think people are offended by anti-automobile arguments. They just don't think such arguments are anything but fantasy. I don't believe there is the slightest chance any of us will see a world without private vehicles. Cars will eventually disappear, but only when replaced by new forms of personal transportation. Absent apocalyptic cataclysm, human society will not move backwards.
I don't expect cars to disappear. I just expect them to shrink as a mode. The only people I expect to drive in the future are those who have good reason to. A culture has evolved where all sorts of people drive all over the place for unnecessary reasons and non-critical jobs. A lot less infrastructure and parking will be needed if most driving is replaced by other forms of transportation. Certain experts will always need to drive because they will have to visit multiple locations within a region without waiting on transit schedules. Most people's skills are not that important, though.